Thursday, November 6, 2008

The Swing by Robert Lewis Stevenson

This poem is one of the sweetest poems I've read. It is by Robert Lewis Stevenson, who is one of the great poets of all time. He has a way of bringing very simple things to life like a buried treasure just found. It is short, so I will reproduce it here.

How do you like to go up in a swing
Up in the air so blue?
Oh, I do think it the pleasantest thing
ever a child could do.

Up in the air and over the wall
till I can see so wide
Rivers and trees and cattle and all
over the county side.

Till I look down on the garden green
down on the roof so brown
Up in the air I go flying again.
Up in the air and down,

--Robert Lewis Stevenson

This is such a sweet poem about a child's ride on a swing.

Bravo Mr. Stevenson

Bonnie Worthington
Author, Engine Ed's Colorful Train

No comments: