Monday, November 3, 2008

Raccoons and Ripe Corn, by Tim Arnosky

This book struck me as a little odd. I guess it seemed odd to me because it was the story about some raccoons that went into a cornfield and feasted on a farmers corn. The raccoons managed to destroy a good portion of the farmers crop, stuffed themselves and left. It seemed like a story about vandalism, and that was all there was to the story. There wasn't really a conclusion to the story. We never got to meet the farmer or find out how he felt about or what he did about the invasion. We never found out what happened to the raccoons after their big raid on the corn field. Did they get a stomach ache? Did they go eat dessert? The reader is pretty much just left hanging. I wondered what the point was to the story. Has anyone else read this book?

Bonnie Worthington
Author, Engine Ed's Colorful Train

1 comment:

Confetti said...

I haven't read the book but I do think that kids should understand that taking something that didn't belong to them is wrong. The farmer lost product.