Sunday, May 4, 2008

It's Hard To Be Five

This was a book I wasn't so crazy about. Most of the moms I talked to didn't really like this book either for many of the same reasons I have, however; some moms were neutral. The book seemed like it should have been titled, It's Hard to be the Mom of a Five Year Old Like This One.

The book is about a boy who is turning five, who fights with his siblings (including food and juice fights) and really doesn't have such a good go of being five. It seems like a lot of negative vibrations going out that don't have to. Why put thoughts like that in a child's head, when life for many five-year-olds is really great? The book seemed messy, the font is jagged and the graphics seem messy. It didn't really seem to have a very positive theme like so many children's books do.

One mom I know said she related to the book because that is how her life is. So there are probably many people who don't dislike the book. I wouldn't purchase it as a gift or choose it for my child. The book is by Jamie Lee Curtis.

Bookmom, B.W.
Author, Engine Ed's Colorful Train

No comments: