Sunday, May 11, 2008

The Children's Hour

The following is a contribution from Mr. Cal Worthington

My favorite Chidren's story really isn't a story at all. It is a poem. My favorite poem in all the world is called the Children's Hour by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. This story is so touching. It is about a Grandfather, who while in his study reading, is aware that his precocious grandchildren are plotting and planning a happy, surprise attack on him. He is aware that they think is doesn't know they are coming down the staircase to ambush him. The poem is told from the Grandfather's point of view. I would like to reprint the entire poem here, but for brevity's sake, I will just include the last three stanzas and leave the blissful discovery of the rest of the poem up to you. The poem ends like this:

"Do you think, o blue-eyed banditti,
Because you have scaled the wall,
Such an old mustache as I am
Is not a match for you all!
I have you fast in my fortress,
And will not let you depart,
But put you down into the dungeon
In the round-tower of my heart.
And there will I keep you forever,
Yes, forever and a day,
Till the walls shall crumble to ruin,
And moulder in dust away!"

-Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Being a father and grandfather myself, I cherish this poem and all the sweet moments in life, just like it, that I have had.

Cal Worthington
Auto Dealer

No comments: